LiisBeth Media is a division of LiisBethMX, Canadian nonprofit enterprise focused on advancing inclusive feminist work and voices in Canada.
We are governed by independent advisers which make up the LiisBeth Governing Council.
CORE OPERATING VALUES
- Fairness, transparency, collaborative decision making, community-led, and operate with generosity of spirit.
- Prioritize inclusivity, equity, and diversity.
- We aim to be exemplary supporters of creativity and its value; we pay for work. No one contributes for free on LiisBeth.
- Maintain high standards of editorial integrity and uphold journalistic ethics code as outlined by The Canadian Association of Journalists
- To provide a safe, inclusive space for the LiisBeth Community
- Apply radically inclusive governance principles (see bylaws here)
- To grow to increase impact, plus achieve and maintain financial sustainability.
To maintain editorial freedom and independence, LiisBethMX and LiisBeth Media is fueled by reader donations, subscription revenue, community membership dues, content licensing, grants and occasionally sponsorships from allied organizations.
OWNERSHIP AND EQUITY
As a nonprofit, there are no “owners” or shareholders.
SOCIAL PROCUREMENT COMMITMENT
LiisBeth strives to do business with like-minded and values aligned enterprises. In making purchasing decisions, we prioritize buying from womxn, BIPOC, LGBTQIA2S led and 51%+ majority-owned firms. As a proxy for assessing commitment to gender equity, we ask all our large corporate suppliers to provide information regarding the percentage of women (1) employed in the supplier’s organization, (2) in board, executive and senior positions, and (3) shareholders or any statements that demonstrate their authentic commitment to gender equity, inclusivity and diversity.
We source suppliers via the following networks:
- AWBEN (Aboriginal Women’s Business Entrepreneurship Network)
- IWB (Immigrant Women in Business) members are automatically approved.
- CGLCC (Canada’s LGBT+ Chamber of Commerce)
- CanWCC (Canadian Women’s Chamber of Commerce)
- WeConnect International: WEConnect International is a global network that connects women-owned businesses to qualified buyers around the world.
- WBENC: The Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC) is the largest certifier of women-owned businesses in the U.S. and a leading advocate for women business owners and entrepreneurs.
- TRANS Entrepreneur networks
- BCCC: The Black Canadian Chamber of Commerce
LiisBeth suppliers who do no fall into one of our social procurement priority categories are all invited to (1) become signatories to the Women’s Empowerment Principles (WEPs), or (2) sign the Voluntary Agreement to Promote Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment which is for companies with fewer than 10 employees (free) or, 3) Complete B Corp’s Inclusion Challenge self-assessment (free) and submit the results. Self-employed suppliers are invited to complete the free Gender-Based Analysis Plus online course available here through The Status of Women Canada.
In vetting sponsorship requests, the LiisBeth community will carefully take into account the enterprises’ alignment with our mission and values. LiisBeth sponsors, like suppliers, are also invited to (1) become signatories to the Women’s Empowerment Principles (WEPs) for companies with more than 10 employees), or (2) sign the Voluntary Agreement to Promote Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment (free), for companies with fewer than 10 employees, or 3) Complete B Corp’s Inclusion Challenge self-assessment (free) and submit the results. Transparency will be paramount in all our dealings with our subscriber base and identified stakeholder group. For more information about sponsorship, please contact us.